Go Back   Face the Issue Forums > Share Your Story > Self Esteem
Reload this Page media vs peers

(#1)
Old

media vs peers - 04-04-2005, 04:22 AM

parents are always all "ohh the media is so horrible! it gives our kids poor self image!"
personally i dont care about the media, or pay attention to it.
usually i am comparing myself to people at school and stuff... theyre right there and i can see, in person, how much better they are than me.

so what do you think has more affect on self esteem? the media, or your peers?
(#2)
Old
the real drama queen...

04-04-2005, 05:39 AM

i happen to to think both media and peers effect our self-esteem. at least this is how it is in my case. as an anorexic, seeing skinny models and actresses makes me wanna lose even more weight. not only their weight but also it is their appearance that effects me. glamourous and air brushed and tiny. then there is the girls of my country. i'm taller than the avarage and thus it is normal that i wear larger sizes than they do. but i compare my 5'9 self with all those 5'5 girls, trying to fit into size 0/2 clothes, thinking if heather marks can why can't i.
it turned into a self-centered reply but, i'm guessing you got my point.
take care
(#3)
Old
Lost and confused

04-04-2005, 06:25 AM

I'd say that the media has no/little effect on me. i compare myself to real people around me, my friends, work mates etc.
I dont think the media played a part in my eating disorder.
I don't like it when people blame all their problems on the media.

Nikki x

"When she woke in the morning
She knew that her life had passed her by
And she called out a warning
Don't ever let life pass you by"
(#4)
Old
Sheeps go Lawl

Send a message via AIM to forgotten_echos
04-04-2005, 10:56 AM

BWAHAHAH! Only I can affect my self esteem. That's right- my self hatred, my cutting, my depression- i've all caused myself because i feel like i fully deserve it. Don't i suck? Course i'm only realizing this now sense my conversations with my friends now run on for hours as therapy sessions and i'm keeping like 8 journals.

Hugs are when hearts touch
(#5)
Old

Send a message via AIM to Fufu Send a message via MSN to Fufu
04-04-2005, 11:03 AM

I'm influenced by both, in a way. My peers are the ones that lower my self-esteem and put me down because they are nothing but a bunch of a$$holes. They wear this goddamned "gangster" clothing and all the freaking bling bling and tell anyone who doesn't wear the same clothing "faggot" or "gay" (I hate it when people tease about sexuality) and all this other crap. It seems like them who are doing the lowering of self-esteem, but if you think about it: the media is what influenced THEM. I mean, the clothes they wear is all the freaking same as 50 Cent or some other freaking rap artist and all the bad messages that today's media is portraying (Not just in music) is encouraging violence, drug use, suicide, inappropriate clothes, whatever, the media is equally as bad! It's the people around me that bring me down, but they are all influenced by the media.
That's how both effect me personally, however much sense it made. Nyeh.

I had to ruin my life to learn how to live it properly.
(#6)
Old
Unplugged

04-04-2005, 02:30 PM

If you say the media doesn't affect you, yet your peers do, you are contradicting yourself. The media influences your peers, and therefore if your peers influence you, the media is indirectly influencing you. Say someone on MTV wears a hat, and some popular brainwashed teenager wears that same hat. He/she is influenced by the media. In turn, "everyone" at school wears the hat. You, having no idea where it came from originally, wear the hat. The Media has just indirectly influenced you. So the media and your peers go hand in hand.

I am me, and I don't need to live by anyone else’s idea of perfection or normality. Really, I could care less, and I am thankful I have friends who feel the same way.

Last edited by Perfidia