Go Back   Face the Issue Forums > Share Your Story > Self Esteem
Reload this Page media vs peers

(#1)
Old

media vs peers - 04-04-2005, 04:22 AM

parents are always all "ohh the media is so horrible! it gives our kids poor self image!"
personally i dont care about the media, or pay attention to it.
usually i am comparing myself to people at school and stuff... theyre right there and i can see, in person, how much better they are than me.

so what do you think has more affect on self esteem? the media, or your peers?
(#2)
Old
the real drama queen...

04-04-2005, 05:39 AM

i happen to to think both media and peers effect our self-esteem. at least this is how it is in my case. as an anorexic, seeing skinny models and actresses makes me wanna lose even more weight. not only their weight but also it is their appearance that effects me. glamourous and air brushed and tiny. then there is the girls of my country. i'm taller than the avarage and thus it is normal that i wear larger sizes than they do. but i compare my 5'9 self with all those 5'5 girls, trying to fit into size 0/2 clothes, thinking if heather marks can why can't i.
it turned into a self-centered reply but, i'm guessing you got my point.
take care
(#3)
Old
Lost and confused

04-04-2005, 06:25 AM

I'd say that the media has no/little effect on me. i compare myself to real people around me, my friends, work mates etc.
I dont think the media played a part in my eating disorder.
I don't like it when people blame all their problems on the media.

Nikki x

"When she woke in the morning
She knew that her life had passed her by
And she called out a warning
Don't ever let life pass you by"
(#4)
Old
Sheeps go Lawl

Send a message via AIM to forgotten_echos
04-04-2005, 10:56 AM

BWAHAHAH! Only I can affect my self esteem. That's right- my self hatred, my cutting, my depression- i've all caused myself because i feel like i fully deserve it. Don't i suck? Course i'm only realizing this now sense my conversations with my friends now run on for hours as therapy sessions and i'm keeping like 8 journals.

Hugs are when hearts touch
(#5)
Old

Send a message via AIM to Fufu Send a message via MSN to Fufu
04-04-2005, 11:03 AM

I'm influenced by both, in a way. My peers are the ones that lower my self-esteem and put me down because they are nothing but a bunch of a$$holes. They wear this goddamned "gangster" clothing and all the freaking bling bling and tell anyone who doesn't wear the same clothing "faggot" or "gay" (I hate it when people tease about sexuality) and all this other crap. It seems like them who are doing the lowering of self-esteem, but if you think about it: the media is what influenced THEM. I mean, the clothes they wear is all the freaking same as 50 Cent or some other freaking rap artist and all the bad messages that today's media is portraying (Not just in music) is encouraging violence, drug use, suicide, inappropriate clothes, whatever, the media is equally as bad! It's the people around me that bring me down, but they are all influenced by the media.
That's how both effect me personally, however much sense it made. Nyeh.

I had to ruin my life to learn how to live it properly.
(#6)
Old
Unplugged

04-04-2005, 02:30 PM

If you say the media doesn't affect you, yet your peers do, you are contradicting yourself. The media influences your peers, and therefore if your peers influence you, the media is indirectly influencing you. Say someone on MTV wears a hat, and some popular brainwashed teenager wears that same hat. He/she is influenced by the media. In turn, "everyone" at school wears the hat. You, having no idea where it came from originally, wear the hat. The Media has just indirectly influenced you. So the media and your peers go hand in hand.

I am me, and I don't need to live by anyone else’s idea of perfection or normality. Really, I could care less, and I am thankful I have friends who feel the same way.

Last edited by Perfidia : 04-04-2005 at 02:35 PM.
(#7)
Old
rose_angel137

04-04-2005, 02:55 PM

Perfidia i couldn't have said it better my self.

every person is effected by the media in some way or another. maybe it's not directly but you still are. even if you don't go by the "in thing" but you go off of what you like. well how do you think you find out what you like. you see it on tv or you see it in the front of the store. no matter what you do you are always influenced by the media. hey i don't go with the "in thing" but i know i'm still influenced by the media. like for example. take your favorite singer/ band. now think of where you heard it for the first time. maybe you heard a song on the radio by them that you liked or maybe you have a friend who had the cd and you listened to it or maybe you were bored and you went and listened to those head phones that they have at music stores. there are so many things that could have caused you to like it and they are all forms of the media getting you to buy there stuff.

another thing did you know that if you go to the movies to watch a movie (in america any ways. i don't know about in other countries) there are hidden messages in the screen that your sub conscious mind picks up that are telling you to go by snakes from the counter. i know this for a fact to (so don't go thinking i'm a paranoid freak) because the government is actually trying to get a law passed that the companies can't do that any more. i can't remember where i found that out but i'll tell you guys the moment i remember or i find it again.
(#8)
Old
Hello Martian

04-04-2005, 06:12 PM

really good question
corse its both, but if i'd have to pick one over the other i'd definatly say peers. especially girls cuz girls can be reallly mean. some are really short and skinny and of corse they get the really hot guys

everythings just hard because whereever you look therell be someone better at math or at english or at running or at being fitt or at sweet talking... i sorta just try to think that there's always someone worse then me at everything too... which is kinda contradictory, but its better then always thinking im the worst possibility for a human ... i dunno.. . the media affects us more then we think, its all subconcious and its too hard to conceptualize how much exactly its affecting us, me, everyone

It is said if you surround yourself with purple you will have peace of mind.

(#9)
Old
Lost and confused

04-05-2005, 02:38 AM

Yeah fair points. I actually agree with you, i just hadn't thought it through. I guess I am indirectly affected by the media.
I don't compare myself directly to celebrities and want to look like them.

Nikki

"When she woke in the morning
She knew that her life had passed her by
And she called out a warning
Don't ever let life pass you by"
(#10)
Old

04-14-2005, 11:41 AM

i think it both the media n peers. to media just they always show thinner girls and it makes me feel fat. but also peers because they sometimes try to get me to do things i do want to do.
(#11)
Old
1 pwn n00bz0rz

04-14-2005, 04:04 PM

I wish I could say the media doesn't effect me. My peers always tell me I look good when I start ranting about how fat I am, but I know they are trying to make me feel better. Seriously, I just found out I have the same body fat % as this girl I think of as super huge. So there you go. I can't help but seeing these images and those girls who look just like them and be jealous. And when they say they are fat, I really want to ask them what I am then. Because if they are fat, I am like, a barge full of all of India's spices. (don't ask)

100beats per minute baby don't mean sh!t to me
(#12)
Old

Send a message via AIM to xKiLL-at-3x
04-14-2005, 05:35 PM

well, many school kids are influenced by the media so if we're influenced by our peers...we're bieng influenced by the media too...in a way...
(#13)
Old
onetinybyte

04-14-2005, 05:57 PM

me too I like to compare my self to the real thing
(#14)
Old

04-25-2005, 06:24 PM

i think its the peers more than the media now days. i also think that the ppl u have in ur life, friends and family even aquientances, have some kind of impact in that area as well. although i was well aware of what other ppl find interesting or wearing or being, it never affected me enough to actually try to be like them.

very little faith gives u very little time.