Go Back   Face the Issue Forums > Share Your Story > Bulimia
Reload this Page Medication anyone?

(#1)
Old

Send a message via MSN to CorsetedDreams
Medication anyone? - 05-07-2008, 01:02 AM

These past few days Ive had a complete replase, although this time I actuallly dont want it to happen unlike before when I basically lived through bumilia. Ive had blood tests done recently and they show low white cells and high protien. Anyhow I was thinking of asking my doctor for medication, as there isnt anything im particualry unhappy with in my life, I am lucky to say at the moment, so maybe meds would be the answer? My throat is in a bad way today it feels all swollen, im beginning to get paranoid again about food and weight and my hair is soo dry. However Im not as bad as I was before.
Anyway, has anyone here been on medication for bulimia before?

and you're surrounded by the lives
of those who found something to hold
so bringing everybody down
is all you know

you've been hiding so long
you can't find yourself
in this sheltered life you live
when everything you want is at your fingertips
you'll never know what need is

I miss the person that you were
but I don't miss you

Last edited by CorsetedDreams : 05-07-2008 at 01:23 AM.
(#2)
Old

05-07-2008, 08:59 AM

well back when i was anorexic, i was put on zoloft, which is an antidepressant, and it did help with the anxiety and OCD that comes with having an ed. I am still on it today and it does still help with the anxiety i feel about my weight, but it definitely has not stopped the bulimia. but who knows, without the medication i might be alot worse.

But i would talk to your doctor about it, he might refer you to a psychiatrist to see what would help you the best.

<3
(#3)
Old

05-07-2008, 12:56 PM

Thanks for replying.
Ive had therapy before, that was for by drink problem but then it mutated into an ED so the place kept me on despite me becoming too old for the centre. Then they refered me else where but I didnt like the woman there so I left for a couple of reasons.But I feel Ive had all the counselling I need, I understand how to live a good life and it makes sense etc but its just acting it out is so much harder. This is why I thinks meds might be the answer, although I would be worried about taking anti-depressants as I was on those at 15 and they made me feel worse.

is all you know

you can't find yourself

but I don't miss you
(#4)
Old

05-07-2008, 02:25 PM

I don't want to sound too blunt or forward but if you have Bulimia why would you take anti-depressants? Wouldn't you just purge then back up? I know that sounds bad but what I am getting at is if/when you do get on them this should mean you wont purge anymore because you wanna get better (right?...)

whatever the case is I hope that EVERYTHING works out for you!!

catch

the

rainbow
(#5)
Old

05-08-2008, 07:39 AM

Bulimics only purge when they feel guility about what they have eaten. I wouldnt feel guility about taking medication. I was on anti-depressants before I became bulimic like 4 years before hand.

is all you know

you can't find yourself

but I don't miss you
(#6)
Old

meds - 05-08-2008, 08:33 AM

I got on meds (clonazepam and paroxetine) and I am definitely less depressed and I have much less anxiety, but it did not stop my binging and purging. I'm hoping after this last exam I take tomorrow I will be able to take more time to concentrate on being better. I think the meds will help with the bulimia if you actually have the time to concentrate on being better. Im all for starting them sooner than later, because being happy and bulimic is better than being depressed and bulimic, until its a good time to recover. I tried for 5 years with out meds, and I've gotten better with out them a bunch of times, but maybe the meds will do the trick with out the seemingly inevitable relapse.
(#7)
Old

05-08-2008, 01:33 PM

I had used Prozac and it was great because it could break my depressive mood chain. So I was more able to fight strongly. It is also the advised anti-dep. for EDs, esp. Bulimia in America. But I was also psychologically trying hard to get better, reading, understanding, realizing etc. I believe medication alone cant help, but if you are already trying with all your mental energy, then it will help you because it helps you to feel better therefore lessening the b/P attacks.
xxx
(#8)
Old

05-09-2008, 05:57 AM

mpl: thanks for replying, best of luck with your exam and let us know how you get on after your exam with getting better. I did get better for awhile as well but now Ive relapsed as well.
celine: I agree it takes alot of mental strength to get better for any amount of time but sometimes if it really is a problem from within and no longer any reason for it then maybe meds would help, although I hope they dont put me on proxac again as that just did not agree with me at all.

is all you know

you can't find yourself

but I don't miss you
(#9)
Old

05-21-2008, 07:55 AM

Went to the docs today and I told her that I had begun to replase again. All she said to me was if it gets worse then come back and we'll think about refferring you. But the place she would send me is somewhere where Ive been before and did not get on well there.
Another doc told me I was depressed bk in december I did one of those tests and he said I could have meds but I said no as I didnt feel depressed. But anti-depressants are used to treat bulimia so should I go back and ask to be put on the meds? What do you guys think? Im just so scared and wish this would all end x

is all you know

you can't find yourself

but I don't miss you