PDA

View Full Version : My Depression Story

elk
01-29-2005, 06:30 PM
I just stumbled onto this site so I thought I'd share my story since this is what I would call one of my 'bad' days.
I've had depression/anxiety for as long as I can remember - I just didn't know that's what it was when I was younger. When I was a kid, it was more anxiety. As I got older, I definitely had several major depressive episodes, occuring from my senior year of high school and then every couple of years after that. I found that usually some sort of 'trauma' would set me off again, wrecking whatever progress I made, or just making it impossible to ignore my problems (which I don't recommend doing - just makes things worse). Several times I contemplated suicide but didn't really have the heart or desire to follow through with it, so never did. I tried to take medicine out of desperation at one point in college, but had trouble with it and quit the whole thing. I bounced back out of that particular round of depression on my own. A few years passed, then I had a serious illness last year, and that seemed to kick off a new round of the fight. Long story short, I scared myself, and sought help again. It's turned out to be the best thing I've done yet. After a few tries I found a therapist I like, I'm now on a medication, which isn't a miracle drug, but did make a difference, and I think that I'm making progress although it's slow progress. I have good days and bad days, but I guess that's life. The bad days are the worst because I don't really have any support system to help me through this - going it alone is not easy. My parents never understood, and have pretty much dismissed the whole thing, but our relationship was never a good one to begin with. None of the rest of my family knows, which is very hard, because I think that's the one thing that can really help.

Anyway, I guess my whole point with this was just to say to other people out there I know how you feel and even if you have to go it alone don't give up because even if you don't think you matter to anyone else, you should matter to yourself and that's one of the most important things of all.

Undulateinmyperception
01-31-2005, 12:01 PM
Anyway, I guess my whole point with this was just to say to other people out there I know how you feel and even if you have to go it alone don't give up because even if you don't think you matter to anyone else, you should matter to yourself and that's one of the most important things of all.

Hear, hear!!!