PDA

View Full Version : In reply to the announcment

Puffshkin
10-28-2008, 01:36 PM
Only because I don't know how to work the thing that happens when I try to contact FTIadmin =(

Not complaining or being pissy or anything, but why the deleting?

I thought there was going to be a games section, or something like that, as a sub-forum on off-topic. For games threads and basically non-serious stuffs.

Y'know - all that was said in the thread just below this?
(I was looking forward to that, as sad as that sounds. ,_, )
Or is that still happening?

Sorry for this P:

xx

ftiadmin
10-28-2008, 01:40 PM
You can PM at anytime.
FTI is about coming here for help or to help. People focusing on games is not helping people. Even if a game subforum is made, it would still dominate a lot of the forum.
This place is about people needing help and trying to find it, not counting, not naming off what they are listening too, and not talking about the person above them.
We also aren't deleting. We're closing and I will prune them later on tonight or whenever. New game threads will simply be deleted.
So simply before making a new thread ask yourself: Does this have meaning?

adamcieslicki
10-28-2008, 01:43 PM
I have to admit that I agree with this, FTI has lost its focus and needs to regain it.

Rubyslipperslg
10-28-2008, 02:00 PM
Yes, FTI is about helping people, but sometimes if people play a game together, they can really take their focus off their problems too. It is really a nice stress reliever like the game, smack the keyboard for instance. Just my opinion. Thanks. RS

Puffshkin
10-28-2008, 02:07 PM
Well, I suppose it depends on what you want FTI to be, as you are the admin, aye.

I know FTI's being going really... well yeah it's lost it's focus.
There aren't as many people anymore - but isn't that normal? The amount of regulars goes up and down, yeah?

I don't see how a games subforum would take over =|
Yeah, it'll be popular, maybe. But out of the way, if you get me. Whereas the rest of offtopic could be left with all the seriousness and facing issues that don't really belong anywhere else.

I don't think I'm explaining this well.. xDD

I just can't imagine any forum without a place for it's members to chill. And to be honest, some of those threads without meaning really help =/

And some, which have no meaning whatsoever, kind-of bring the members together =)
(Only there isn't alot right now..)
This place is about recovery too, yeah? Well those games threads could be seen as a distraction area for people who SH. Or anyone who wants to be distracted from their thoughts for a while.
And I agree Ruby - smack the keyboard is awesome :D

I think all that needs to be done is to seperate off-topic - because I do see what it's becoming.

Again sorry. I'm probably just wasting time as you've already made up your mind/I'm only one member so it doesn't matter what I think.

xx

edit: And I'm still wondering if those changes are still happening? (The ED forum ect)

r!ot,,
10-28-2008, 02:13 PM
Every1 even stated that the games forums like subforumy things will prolly get made so i dnt reeli see why the closure of the threads, fair doo's u think they have no point.. but they actually do
alot of people come on fti as said by puff n ruby to vent and rant etc and off topic lets yer do that but i mean if ur alright with people comin on fti to look for thngs to help vent and there just not ther so they actually end up cutting or whatever.. by all means u keep deletin;)

bye

_--JoSh--_
10-28-2008, 02:24 PM
To be totally honest, you're bull****ting yourself if smacking the keyboard is a nice stress reliever. Get a therapist. If hitting your keyboard feels good, therapy will be orgasmic.

Puffshkin
10-28-2008, 02:28 PM
nice*

Lmfao. It's not like we're bashing our keyboards with frustration.
(Or well... I don't o.O )

It's the distraction =)
Figuring out what to say, and loling at funny ones others did.

xx

HelpisNeeded
10-28-2008, 02:58 PM
I do those games for distraction... and they work. Like, if I am feeling slightly sad, I'll go on here and see what others have posted in game threads to cheer myself up a little.. it doesn't make me instantly happy but it's a healthy distraction.. I think that closing the game threads is a little harsh. What's the harm in a few games? =/
But whatever... do as you please. My opinion never matters anyway.
Oh well.

x_Thriller_Night_x
10-28-2008, 03:04 PM
I hope the rant threads dont get closed, I like those

Puffshkin
10-28-2008, 03:06 PM
I agree, my rant thread is awesome ,_,

Sisko
10-28-2008, 03:23 PM
I just can't imagine any forum without a place for it's members to chill. And to be honest, some of those threads without meaning really help =/

And some, which have no meaning whatsoever, kind-of bring the members together =)

It brings hijackers together. Sorry, it's the truth. Nothing annoys me (and many other members) than to see a thread that's turned into a MSN convo between two or three people.
I avoid those threads. I avoid almost ALL threads because they've all become into that. So they don't bring people together, at all.
Oh also, the rant thread is a good idea and really does help, so it'll stay (EDIT: Uh, I was wrong. It won't. Sorry!)

ftiadmin
10-28-2008, 03:24 PM
Games with meaning will remain untouched.
If meaningless games were rare this wouldn't be a problem. They're taking over off topic. The Rant thread was a good idea, but that is what blogs are for. Rant there.
If you do not like the changes, you can leave.

If your depressed and want something to brighten your day, there will always be humorous things in off topic- they just will have more meaning. If not, go to another website. There are a lot of funny things on the internet.

xscribbledxheartsx
10-28-2008, 03:27 PM
I don't think getting rid of the games is wise.
Sometimes if you're on FTI you need to get away.
You don't want to be bombarded with helping others or asking for help..
Just want to be distracted from your problems for a while.
Who ever has the say in this decision, please consider that while this doesn't contribute to the focus of the forums directly, it does indeed help people, in a different manor.
Distraction isn't a method that you should use constantly, but it definitely does help when you're not up for anything big, or related to whatever's bothering you.

Maybe I'm the only one who thinks this, exactly..
Just make sure you've come to the best possible decision on the subject.

xx

EDIT:

I guess the net does have a few other options of stress relief.
=/

Sisko
10-28-2008, 03:30 PM
We wouldn't be closing the games threads if hijacking hadn't gotten out of control in the way it did.

ftiadmin
10-28-2008, 03:34 PM
I thought about this a lot. I am prepared for all the complaining, leaving and bashing anyone wants to throw at me. I would not have done it if it was not wise. Please do not complain to the mods, complain to me. This is my act and my decision.

HelpisNeeded
10-28-2008, 03:35 PM
Yeah but I feel more... connected to the people here. They are going through problems like me, and i like reading what they have to say and having humorous situations with them. All the games threads have meaning... none of them are pointless.
Oh, and personally I would rather post in the rant thread than in a blog. When I make a blog, I feel like I'm just being a whiny complaining *****.. but when i post in the rant thread, i don't feel as bad because everybody is complaining. So yeah...
I think I just don't get what you're saying. I don't see why you're closing the threads.. or why it's so bad. Whatever. I don't really care... I'm just going to miss the what song are you listening to thread. I liked looking at that :(

Puffshkin
10-28-2008, 03:36 PM
Yeah, a blogs just like a forum allll abouutt you.

Rant thread - people can reply to things that dont need a thread.
Ah. You locked it.

x_Thriller_Night_x
10-28-2008, 03:41 PM
noooo :(

Theres going to be nothing left of the off topic section at this rate lol

xscribbledxheartsx
10-28-2008, 03:43 PM
Alright, let's just let this be.
If he's made up his mind, I don't see the point in arguing.

Is there, however, anyway you could make the sub thread for Games? So they don't get out of hand, and are in ONE spot?

Puffshkin
10-28-2008, 03:44 PM
Already asked that
Already rejected =P

xscribbledxheartsx
10-28-2008, 03:46 PM
Ahh. I missed that.

HelpisNeeded
10-28-2008, 03:47 PM
I think they should have a poll =P
Then it's not just a couple people's decision.
=/

Puffshkin
10-28-2008, 03:49 PM
Our opinions don't matter. =P

Rubyslipperslg
10-28-2008, 05:10 PM
I think they should have a poll too. Our opinions should matter because we are the ones that keep FTI running and operating. Without us people coming and venting, ranting, asking and giving advice, playing an occassional game.....there would be no FTI.

Maikki
10-28-2008, 06:43 PM
Honestly, I think is a good idea. And see! I'm not a mod and I agree with this.
Why? Because there are too many game threads. And most of them are replied by the same 3-4 people and don't make sense. I don't have anything against the people themselves, but the hijacking becomes trying after some time. And there have been less replies or new threads made by other members. And maybe it's a coincidence, but this started to happen more when the hijacking increased a lot. Personally, I feel alienated in some threads, like I shouldn't reply because my answer won't be welcome by the "owners" of the threads.
This is just my opinion. I don't agree with closing all the threads, because it's truth that we need some space to just relax and have some fun. **Some** space, not the whole Off Topic section.
And is kinda difficult to make a poll considering there are just a few of us (members) who are active. It still wouldn't be representative of the whole community. Plus, we should respect the decision of the admin and mods. Their job is to keep the forum working in the best way possible, and in the way it should work.

shadowed_soul
10-28-2008, 06:57 PM
I remember when FTI was the way it used to be, and that was functional.

I can guarantee you that most of the "oldies," you might call us, don't go to game threads and those type very often. I don't see them as serving a true purpose at FTI.

There are more game threads than help threads, and there are more posts on those game threads than the help threads. I find that to be very sad. All of the posting that is done on these threads is taking up attention and time, attention that could be used helping out somebody in need, giving advice to them, or offering a kind word.

Honestly, the game threads are one massive hijack of the entire forum.

Jonathan
10-28-2008, 07:38 PM
I say ... thank God some of the bull**** is getting removed from these boards. I will leave it at that. This decision does not need a poll. It just needs to be carried out.

forgotten_echos
10-28-2008, 08:29 PM
<333333 To the admin!!!!

WithoutTheMask
10-29-2008, 03:26 AM
I just wanted to show my support for this decision. I've posted my fair share on games threads and the like, but partly it's because I feel like I should post something regularly and now I automatically go to Off Topic first simply because there are so many threads. I think this will help me to go to the other forums where help is actually needed.
And I'm glad; I posted on open letter about this a while back, because I was sad that Off Topic had so many more posts than anywhere else. Now maybe that'll change?
I don't know. I just remember when I first joined the focus on helping people was what I liked about FTI. So I'm going with admin on this one.

Voltaire
10-29-2008, 05:44 AM
I just wanted to say that I fully support this idea.
And secondly-note who doesn't: the people who do all the hijacking and end up making each thread a convo about themselves.

I love ya guys, but truly? Like this thread pretty much identified y'all.
I miss the way FTI was, this is good because it's taking a step back in that direction. It's not like FTI will be devoid of fun and laughter it'll just be more focused. And I agree-if you don't agree-then leave. Because FTI is for helping people, not letting people chat to each other in three different game threads.

*shrugs* Fully supporting this decision.
-xoxox Tori

laurel
10-29-2008, 08:56 AM
I don't think it'll encourage people post in the other forums though. I think there's just not alot of people. I don't see why that is because this site's really easy to find. I think some of the threads were interesting and sort of theraputic and I don't even mean the games but like the song quotes, I've seen threads like that on other forums like this or that rant thread got closed but it's sort of like closing the open letter one that's a sticky so I don't really get it. I think it's a good idea to try to refocus the forum, there are random threads I've seen and thought why has that been going on so long? over about eight pages, and then you look and it's because people are just chatting. So I see the idea but it's sort of hard to control. I'm not sure this is a new issue though because I've been reading older threads from like 2, 3 years ago and people go off on tangents and go off topic all the time so... well...just a thought.

Jonathan
10-29-2008, 09:45 AM
I don't think it'll encourage people post in the other forums though. I think there's just not alot of people.
Then I say, let them go to other forums. If people want to chat aimlessly, there's Gabbly or a dozen other instant-message programs out there. I used to be a very active poster here and tried to post several times a day and be helpful, because helping someone else takes your focus away from yourself. I gave up when the BS in the Off Topic forum started to become worse. Games can be therapeutic in that they get your mind off yourself -- but load up Solitaire on your computer or something. Less crap, more helping.

Puffshkin
10-29-2008, 09:57 AM
*stomps foot*

laurel
10-29-2008, 10:03 AM
Well I actually said "I don't even mean games" but ok. I'm trying not to post on here that much now because it's sort of like talking to yourself. Come to think of it most forums have one section people gravitate towards and I guess the off topic's sort of like the general section. It's good how the structure has the issue forums first. So I don't really know where it's gone wrong. I don't know how it used to be so I can't really say. Alot of people who used to post in the issues forums just don't post anymore.

Puffshkin
10-29-2008, 10:05 AM
Me agree with you, yeah. =] <3

(And laurel isn't a 'jacker!)

Voltaire
10-29-2008, 01:07 PM
(And laurel isn't a 'jacker!)

But Laurel isn't against it. Laurel is saying that she doesn't know how the forums were and that a lot of people gravitate towards the game forums and because of that a lot of people who used to post issues have left. I think Laurel is saying that it's a great idea, but might not work in practice.

Nice try though. =/

Puffshkin
10-29-2008, 01:14 PM
forums were and that a lot of people gravitate towards the game forums and because of that a lot of people who used to post issues have left.

Nope, no mention of a connection.
And I think that too - and that it's just coincidence how and when these things happened.

Not that I think anything I say will change her mind =]]]

Thankoo

xx

ftiadmin
10-29-2008, 02:58 PM
*stomps foot*
Stop being a baby. You should be pleased I haven't closed this thread. I would have rather you whined like a child to my inbox rather than try to start a hissy fit, as you did on this thread. So far, 4 people have defended the rant thread. 4. Out of the 520 some odd "active" members (by active, this means logged in the past week. The real number is probably 350, that's my estimate.) You are a tiny percent of the overall population, and of course you are upset because you are the queen and master at creating the very thing we are going against.

So let me make something very clear to you, and listen because I am only going to say this once; you can whine, moan, groan at me as much as you please; and there is nothing, nothing that you can do that will change my mind. Because you are one person out of many, you only seem big because your post count is unimaginably huge due to your endless posts that just barely make ten characters.

The forums are going to change, it just wont be your type of senseless fun anymore. I want the majority of threads on off topic to have meaning, which honestly, I do not think is an unreasonable thing for an admin to want for the forums. I know some people like the senseless humor you provide- but a lot of users, plus the original intent of the website, is against it. Some of these members who like your humor, may also like what off topic will turn into after this whole thing is over. I am not taking any fun out- I am simply changing what kind of fun.

So Puff, you are a good person, with good intentions, a good heart- who I honestly believe is not here to cause any harm... but with the number of infractions you have conjured up (and trust me, the mods have given you a lot of breaks, you deserve wayyy more than you have), plus your public displays of hissy fits, if you don't grow up I am just going to ban you. It's a miracle you haven't been permanently banned already.

I am making this public because I don't want anything left out, I know you have people who really support you and I want to make sure my reasons are clear so if you are banned, your supporters will not go "Wait... why???"

Puffshkin
10-29-2008, 03:11 PM
*stomps foot* <- was not meant seriously =|!!
(And I can't remember any other hissy fits ._. - I'll go look.)

Most things I say arent - and to be honest I thought this was going to be ignored from when you made your point clear which was... a page or so back. Idk.

I honestly didn't expect you take this/me seriously - I mean four people! xD

But yeah - I'll lay off FTI. So relax, have a coffee, and think about tomorrow :D
x

ftiadmin
10-29-2008, 03:18 PM
*stomps foot* <- was not meant seriously =|!!
(And I can't remember any other hissy fits ._. - I'll go look.)

Most things I say arent - and to be honest I thought this was going to be ignored from when you made your point clear which was... a page or so back. Idk.

I honestly didn't expect you take this/me seriously - I mean four people! xD

But yeah - I'll lay off FTI. So relax, have a coffee, and think about tomorrow :D
x

I'm glad you were kidding, or I'd have to kill you. You also technically deserve an infraction for that post since it's completely off topic. The only thing stopping me is that it would seem weird for me to infract you for hijacking your own thread. Is that even possible?
I need to be more trigger happy.

Coffee? Don't be ridiculous, Spaghetti doesn't go well with coffee at all!!

x_Thriller_Night_x
10-29-2008, 03:42 PM
isnt the whole point of the forum being called "off topic" is that it is off topic???

laurel
10-29-2008, 04:32 PM
errm I just meant it's good that you wanna sort the forum out. And I meant I don't even understand why no one posts here anymore, it wasn't as dead as it is now when I joined. And it's a good site and it's well advertised. And I also meant I'm not sure how much good it'll do to close some threads, some of them were pretty harmless and interesting. I don't get how it'll work. The point I was trying to make was that I don't know how much of the problem is the hijacking and how much is that there just aren't alot of people posting in general. I don't want to criticize what you're doing when I don't have any better idea myself, I'm not sure how much good it'll do though.

Puff coffee's a stimulant, sweetie, you need to relaaax you're getting yourself all worked up... there, there :cool:

shadowed_soul
10-29-2008, 06:30 PM
isnt the whole point of the forum being called "off topic" is that it is off topic???

Yes, but off topic is for things that don't seem to fit in other topics, not for games. Like open letter. It's not designated in any one particular area, so it fits in off topic. If off topic were meant for games, we would have a games forum, and that would be the end of FTI.

adamcieslicki
10-30-2008, 09:48 AM
This thread has served its purpose. The new policy is going ahead regardless of the complaints etc that will inevitably occur. If you dont like it then unfortunatly there is no appeals court.

The thread will now be locked