PDA

View Full Version : What is so bad about cutting?

paralysed force
03-13-2008, 06:25 PM
Okay... I'm trying to quit (mostly because I was dumb enough to tell my boyfriend that I cut and he wants me to stop) but am having some trouble. I can't really get myself all that motivated to actually stop cutting. Everyone says it's "bad," but I'm having difficulty figuring out why.

I'm not suicidal, I clean my cuts to prevent infection, and I don't cut deep at all. Except for the possiblity of some superficial scarring, I can't figure out what is wrong with my actions.

I'm not trying to be insensitive... but I need to know because it's hard to quit without any real motivation to do so. Cutting makes me feel better (at least in the short term) and doesn't seem to have any negative effects. Aside from the possibility of infection, what is so bad about it?

Enclose
03-13-2008, 06:55 PM
- Infection. The wound can become infected and even a small cut can become very hazardous if not proper cleaned etc.

- Scars. Most cutters don't like people to see their scars, if you keep on cutting you're gonna keep on collecting more scars and more places need to be kept hidden from other people to see. You also might think back about this period in a few years and regret it, you'll have to carry these scars for the rest of your life, remember that. You won't be able to go swimming or wear light clothing in summer.

- Social problems. Many people look down on cutting and seeing scars of your cuts might make them want to distance themselves from you or even pick on you. Can also be a problem for your love life.

- Injury. You might cut to deep or in the wrong places causing serious injuries and possibly requiring hospitalisation.

- Addiction. Cutting can become very addictive. After a while small cuts won't do it anymore, you want more, bigger, deeper. This will also lead to more problems in the aforementioned reasons. It might also lead to the urge to do more stuff, it might even drive you to eventual suicide. You might not be suicidal now but that can change quick (I know from experience).

I know you're not trying to be insensitive. I used to think like that too, 'why not?'. When I'm feeling down I tend to forget these reasons sometimes. But well, here it is, this is why cutting is bad :) There's probably more things one could think of but these just popped in my head at this moment

HelpIsLOVE
03-13-2008, 08:54 PM
Cutting tends to be associated with a coping mechanism people use to release emotion. The reason that cutting is not a good way of "releasing emotion," is because not only is it harmful to your self mentally, it is specifically a short term "problem solver" (that was in quotes for a reason). Many people who cut are in fact not suicidal, however, when a person reacts in a fast acting negative emotion releaser such as cutting, one may take more extreme chances to get that "rush" or that emotion stabilizing feeling, which can be dangerous. Cutting does not resolve the struggles you may be experiencing, talking and learning new ways of dealing with stressors is the only way to truly positively change emotional behavior and you as a person.
If you take the "easy" road, such as doing something quickly to aid with something, a person possibly will never have the ability to deal with "big" problems in an efficient manner. I am very glad that you came on here to talk about your struggles, you took the first step into getting help, talking with someone about it. I highly suggest that you think about seeing a therapist about these struggles. They can work with you and allow you to plan and strategize how to help you. If you need anything, please let me know.

amandabxx
03-14-2008, 02:21 PM
I used to think there was nothing wrong with it....theres no easy way to tell you why its 'wrong' really.....i guess something clicked in my head the last time i cut (3 weeks and counting) and i just didnt know why i was doing it anymore......in hindsight it didnt help.....

paralysed force
03-14-2008, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the support, dears... Hopefully I can get SI-free soon. =]