PDA

View Full Version : Cost?

corleones
06-04-2006, 08:56 PM
How much do horses cost? Not a race horse. Anyone have an exact figure i was thinking 4-6 grand.

Voltaire
06-04-2006, 08:58 PM
I would talk to Liz about it. Liz loves horses, I'm sorry but I honestly don't have an idea...

IAmNotAlwaysSad
06-04-2006, 09:00 PM
In texas, horses run about $300 to $1,200

SilentDrips
06-04-2006, 09:03 PM
In Norway you could get an old hag of a horse for like 200$ :D

corleones
06-04-2006, 09:04 PM
In texas, horses run about $300 to $1,200
How crappy of a horse? I dont want a horse that is gona die in like 2 seconds. Riding horse too btw figured this was a give me though.

mylifeaway
06-04-2006, 09:05 PM
I know in California every once in a while there is an add for Mustangs, because they are wild they ask

a 70 to 90 dollars donation for one...then you have to domesticate the animal....i guess train is the most
appropriate word. good luck!

corleones
06-04-2006, 09:11 PM
I know in California every once in a while there is an add for Mustangs, because they are while they ask

a 70 to 90 dollars donation for one...then you have to domesticate the animal....i guess train is the most
appropriate word. good luck!
That sounds hard. I probly wont get one because like i live in the city I wana move out to the country one of these days. But like I dont really wana move now and it'd make it a ***** to get to work so yeah.

SilentDrips
06-04-2006, 09:19 PM
rofl you gonna be a cowboy ehh ?

Search for job at a ranch and maybe they'll take you as a stable boy to start with.
Then work your way up to be a cowboy, and then just buy a horse you like when you can afford it :p

corleones
06-04-2006, 09:24 PM
rofl you gonna be a cowboy ehh ?

Search for job at a ranch and maybe they'll take you as a stable boy to start with.
Then work your way up to be a cowboy, and then just buy a horse you like when you can afford it :p
Yeah that would work if I was poor but i'm not so i can just buy one I could probly put it on my gmas farm but i hate being around her seriously everytime i go over there she puts me to work not easy work either hale baling and ****.

IAmNotAlwaysSad
06-04-2006, 09:31 PM
How crappy of a horse? I dont want a horse that is gona die in like 2 seconds. Riding horse too btw figured this was a give me though.

You can get a very nice, trained (or trainable) horse for that price. Not one thats gonna die on you in 2 seconds.

corleones
06-04-2006, 09:36 PM
You can get a very nice, trained (or trainable) horse for that price. Not one thats gonna die on you in 2 seconds.
Yeah that'd be awsome but i'd have to get a ranch or farm or something.

SilentDrips
06-04-2006, 09:57 PM
rofl take my advice instead you rich slob.

Sisko
06-04-2006, 09:57 PM
Of course. Or you wanna keep it as a pet in your house? :rolleyes:

corleones
06-04-2006, 10:08 PM
Of course. Or you wanna keep it as a pet in your house? :rolleyes:
Actually had an idea it'd be sweet to go and rob banks with it.

Sisko
06-04-2006, 10:14 PM
lol yeah, no one'd recognize you :D
The Mad Thief with a Horse, they'd call you

corleones
06-04-2006, 10:20 PM
I live in Indianapolis you should see some of the stuff we see here i mean damn seriously noone would even think it's strange a masked guy witha 12 gauge on a horse with alot of bags of money is riding away.

.Liz.
06-05-2006, 12:44 AM
Yeah...okay so you think you can buy a horse for like, $300? Well....you could, but around here [In Kentucky] if you got a horse that cheap then it obvisoully must have some very serious problems...either in the head or physically. I bought my throughbred as a completly untrained three year old..and she was $1,500...which was extremly cheap for her potential and confirmation.

So lets say you buy a nice riding horse...then you have many other expenses. You have to board him somewhere...which, can cost alot. If you want somewhere even halfway decent it can cost about $250 a month, if you're lucky. If you want somewhere pretty nice, it can be around $300 a month...once again if you're lucky...and if you chose somewhere really nice...it can be either $400 - $550 a month. The new place I'm going to is $400 and that is with me taking care of her and doing everything myself...if someone else is going to take care of her [which, since you're new to the horse industry you would need..] then it costs more. Then you have stall and pasture board which I wont go into. You will also have to board with someone you trust and someone who knows alot about horses..[not all do]. Because, your horse could be dying and he wont even show any really obvious signs.

Since you bought a riding horse...you will need tack. Tack..is not cheap at all. Saddles can go all the way up to $1,500. Bridles can be a wide range of prices, you'll need a bit which can be around $50. Saddle pads can be up to $50 a peice...and so on..

Then comes the bills. You have the farrier, which my farrier charges $75, but my horse is shoed on all four feet..so if you're just getting a trim it's cheaper. The vet, which can be lots of prices depending on what you need..and you'll need health papers and your coggins done alot. I believe the health papers last about 5 months or so but it may be different where you live. Then there's alot of vaccienes too... You also have the equine 'dentist', which you horse will need his teeth floated...[I would explain what that is but you may not understand.]

Horses need food, even if you have lots of grass..if you're going to ride alot it's possible they'll need grain. And there's different types of grain which you'll need to learn about..there's 10%, 14%, 16%....they all depend on your horses needs. Then you need hay...which is harder then you think because if you get moldy hay [it's not always easy to tell..] your horse can get serisoully sick, which means alot more vet bills.

You said something about a race horse.....? I would highly recommend you do not even consider that. They can get you serisoully hurt, I've seen it happen many times. I have alot of experience and they still give me trouble. And if you wanted to ride it in the future..that would mean lots of training which is lots of money.

Also...since you don't ride, you'll need a trainer for you. Don't try to ride on your own, the horse will take advantage of that... I have two lessons a week for $35 each.

If you want to go through with this, I would reccomend you get a 15 year old or older quarter horse gelding. That would most likely be your best option... I'm sorry if it seemed I scared you out of buying a horse, it's just alot of people don't understand the responsiblities it has.. But they are great to have, and they're great therapy..

corleones
06-05-2006, 01:02 AM
Yeah...okay so you think you can buy a horse for like, $300? Well....you could, but around here [In Kentucky] if you got a horse that cheap then it obvisoully must have some very serious problems...either in the head or physically. I bought my throughbred as a completly untrained three year old..and she was $1,500...which was extremly cheap for her potential and confirmation.

So lets say you buy a nice riding horse...then you have many other expenses. You have to board him somewhere...which, can cost alot. If you want somewhere even halfway decent it can cost about $250 a month, if you're lucky. If you want somewhere pretty nice, it can be around $300 a month...once again if you're lucky...and if you chose somewhere really nice...it can be either $400 - $550 a month. The new place I'm going to is $400 and that is with me taking care of her and doing everything myself...if someone else is going to take care of her [which, since you're new to the horse industry you would need..] then it costs more. Then you have stall and pasture board which I wont go into. You will also have to board with someone you trust and someone who knows alot about horses..[not all do]. Because, your horse could be dying and he wont even show any really obvious signs.

Since you bought a riding horse...you will need tack. Tack..is not cheap at all. Saddles can go all the way up to $1,500. Bridles can be a wide range of prices, you'll need a bit which can be around $50. Saddle pads can be up to $50 a peice...and so on..

Then comes the bills. You have the farrier, which my farrier charges $75, but my horse is shoed on all four feet..so if you're just getting a trim it's cheaper. The vet, which can be lots of prices depending on what you need..and you'll need health papers and your coggins done alot. I believe the health papers last about 5 months or so but it may be different where you live. Then there's alot of vaccienes too... You also have the equine 'dentist', which you horse will need his teeth floated...[I would explain what that is but you may not understand.]

Horses need food, even if you have lots of grass..if you're going to ride alot it's possible they'll need grain. And there's different types of grain which you'll need to learn about..there's 10%, 14%, 16%....they all depend on your horses needs. Then you need hay...which is harder then you think because if you get moldy hay [it's not always easy to tell..] your horse can get serisoully sick, which means alot more vet bills.

You said something about a race horse.....? I would highly recommend you do not even consider that. They can get you serisoully hurt, I've seen it happen many times. I have alot of experience and they still give me trouble. And if you wanted to ride it in the future..that would mean lots of training which is lots of money.

Also...since you don't ride, you'll need a trainer for you. Don't try to ride on your own, the horse will take advantage of that... I have two lessons a week for $35 each.

If you want to go through with this, I would reccomend you get a 15 year old or older quarter horse gelding. That would most likely be your best option... I'm sorry if it seemed I scared you out of buying a horse, it's just alot of people don't understand the responsiblities it has.. But they are great to have, and they're great therapy..
I still want one but its nothing on top of my list because it wont happen for a while.

SilentDrips
06-05-2006, 06:16 AM
rofl...KO by reality eh ?