PDA

View Full Version : Why do so many people hate anime?

Blood Lull
05-06-2006, 08:33 AM
I'm a proud fan of anime. The emotion. The art work. The story. The variety. The music. The violence. The romance. The action. The horror. The suspense. The phychological thrills. The tears. The blood. The insanity. I love it.

But it seems most Americans dislike anime..

I have my opinions why, but I'd like to hear yours first.

Anyone here hate anime? Anyone like it?

NoPain
05-06-2006, 08:40 AM
i used to like it.. but now there is too much hentai in them... its kind of sickening..seeing some 10 year old being raped by some winged unicorn with leather boots on....
an example---> elfen lied... i think thats how yuo spell it :ninja:
anypoopies...
hentai sucks!
thats why i dislike it!

K!ngNoth!ng
05-06-2006, 08:48 AM
People do not like what they do not understand, and for the most part they dont even take the time to try.

(I'm a fan myself)

Voltaire
05-06-2006, 09:00 AM
I LOVE anime!!!!!!!
It's just whenever I say anime people are thinking I'm talking about only like Pokemon or something and they don't know about the other animes with beautiful drawings and wonderful heart-warming or entertaining stories. I think people just remember the bad ones and don't pursue anything else.
I can tell you that I'm a proud fan of anime!!

forgotten_echos
05-06-2006, 09:10 AM
In America's culture it's not cool to appreciate other cultures. It's dorky for someone to study french and dress french- it's dorky for someone who is not Russian to study russia. It's also very dorky if you aren't Japanese but like anime which is only seen in american culture as a little kids show.

So- who cares what other people think. Anime is a very rare kind of art in several ways. They're just stupid and immature-- like most american teens <3

Sisko
05-06-2006, 09:53 AM
Well, Elfen Lied's sick :eek:
And hentai's gross... sometimes
But anime rocks!
I love anime and manga with all my might!
OK, yeah, I also like uhm, anime like... yaoi, shounen ai, lemon and all that... :ninja: Tehehehehehee
Anyways... I'm an anime freak! And I'm proud of it! :D
And yeah, I've cosplayed! xD

xazile
05-06-2006, 10:21 AM
i don't think people HATE it

they just don't get it.

SHADOW FOX 1119
05-06-2006, 10:33 AM
I am an proud Anime fan and an avid Manga reader, as well. And I have to agree with the people who've sai that people who do not like Anime probably don't like it because they do not understand it and are too wrapped up in their own lives to even try.

I think it's the same when I listen to foreign music and my sisters tell me to change it, turn it off, or just plain call it crap. They just don't understand that it's what I enjoy listening to. :)

Blood Lull
05-06-2006, 10:44 AM
Wow.. a lot more fans than I expected.

I myswell add my contributions to the list.

Trigun- The $$60 billion double dollar man! My first anime. "This world is made of... LOVE AND PEACE"

http://digilander.libero.it/goku04online/trigun%20003.jpg

Samurai Champloo- My new fave anime at the moment. Hip-hop samurai cool with stunning and innovative animation.

http://images.quizilla.com/D/DA/DAR/DarkRain320/1128390113_imchamploo.jpg

Fooly Cooly- The most insane, off the wall, crazy anime you'll ever see. Only 6 episodes though. There is a plot but it's incredibley hard to understand at first. You'll be too distracted by the pretty colors and spontaneous crazyiness.

http://www.fantasykat.com/shows/Images/flcl/flcl1.jpg

As far as why so many people dislike anime in America.. I think it has a lot to do with first impressions. When the average kid at my school hears the word "anime" they immediatley think of Poke'mon, Dragon Ball Z, or Yu-Gi-Oh. These anime still beat the crap out of the rugrats but they are seriously damaging the image of anime for any one over 13 years old.

Than there's the people who think anime veiwers are pervs cause of Hentai.

Than there's the Christian extremists who see the violence and gore as Satanic.

Sisko
05-06-2006, 01:07 PM
OMG Trigun is one of the best animes EVER
Same with Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist and Ruroken
Samurai Champloo's great too
And I love One Piece, but the 4kids version is crap T_T
Fooly Cooly's insane o_O Just as Excel Saga, and they're both great xD

xazile
05-06-2006, 01:15 PM
i'm not really into the stuff, but my cousin is. when i'm in texas i steal some of her books and read them outside in the nice warm sun ahhh i miss that sun

i've read fruits basket and tsubasa and i like them

Voltaire
05-06-2006, 01:19 PM
I read Fruits Basket and Tsubasa too, good stories good stories...I really like Inu Yasha. I also am a HUGE fan of Yuu Watese's works such as Alice 19th, and Fushigi Yugi.

Sisko
05-06-2006, 01:21 PM
Fushigi Yuugi's awesome, the story's beautiful and it's full of bishounen :rolleyes:
Fruits Basket's soooo cute awww ^^
And I like Tsubasa because I like Clamp. I LOVE Clamp *--*
I'm starting to realize I like shoujo a lot o_O

Voltaire
05-06-2006, 01:28 PM
Lol me too. Do you like Rurouni Kenshin too? Have you read Wish? I loved Wish (by CLAMP). XXX Holic is good too. What else is amazing (in my opinion...) ummm DNAngel. I like that storyline a lot.

Sisko
05-06-2006, 01:54 PM
Yeah, I love Rurouni Kenshin ^_^
It was one of the first real animes I ever saw
One of my friends just bought the Wish manga, and she'll lend them to me as soon as she finishes them *--*
DNAngel's cool... I haven't seen it complete though ._.
Just a few episodes, but I want to finish it :D
Loooool I love talking about anime xD

NoPain
05-06-2006, 02:11 PM
when i was into it.. like some time ago.. my fav anime was X.. --> also known as clampX... or angel sanctuary.. even fma.. but then everything got melodramatic.. so i cudnt bother.. like naruto or bleach.. they just got out of control :/ with nonsense and crappy fillers.. -.- rorouni kenshin..yeah i still have **** load of mangas of that..and hellsing too.. i think im gonna burn them !! ^^
and burning stuff is easy here.. cos im dying of the heat.. stupid spain >.<

Voltaire
05-06-2006, 02:23 PM
I like anime, but I don't think a lot of people hate it; no more people hate anime than the amount of people who hate say rock music. Or rap. Or sci-fi. For every trend there are the followers and the non-followers. I don't know how to explain it, but anime really isn't any different.

NoPain
05-06-2006, 02:38 PM
I like anime, but I don't think a lot of people hate it; no more people hate anime than the amount of people who hate say rock music. Or rap. Or sci-fi. For every trend there are the followers and the non-followers. I don't know how to explain it, but anime really isn't any different.
ROCK MUSIC ROCKS!!!but hardcore is way better!!!

SHADOW FOX 1119
05-06-2006, 07:01 PM
AH!!!! Samurai Champloo and Fooly Cooly are two of my favorite Anime's of all time!

Of course, I also like:

-Witch Hunter Robin
-Outlaw Star
-Big O
-Cowboy Bebop
-Hellsing (I've only read the mangas, but I've read enough about the anime on the internet to get the gist of it)
-Paranoia Agent
-Fullmetal Alchamist (sp?)
-s-CRY-ed
-Digimon (Yes...)
-Zoids (Yup)
-One Piece (It's funny!)
-Inuyasha

Never really got into Trigun, though. :ninja:

I'm sure there are more, but I can't think of them right now :eek:

spikeyfaerie
05-06-2006, 07:29 PM
I actually sat down and watched anime for the first time when i was in America two summers ago!!! The guy we were staying with was a HUUUGE Cowboy Bebop fan and we watched like a whole series of it over a few nights and I'd never really watched anime before cos I thought, like a lot of people, it was mostly like Pokemon and kids stuff. So after that, I got home and I bought the Cowboy Bebop movie. and now I own Akira and Ghost in the Shell. I know they are probably like the most well-known films but i'm slowly getting there and a couple of my friends are really into anime so I get tips from them on what to watch and stuff.

My mum doesnt' like it cos she doesn't like all the screaming and shouting that goes on sometimes!!! hehehe

emma
x

myra e 23
05-06-2006, 08:14 PM
Hi I'm a 23 year old female and my bf loves anime. I've really tried to like it so I've definitley gave it a chance. I've watched Evangelion and cowboy bebop but the one I've liked most is Inuyasha. I know it not hardcore but it was my first. In general I don't really like it but I would watch although I do like some hentai, it's hot.

Blood Lull
05-06-2006, 10:33 PM
WATCH ...please...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0O0htZWosA&search=samurai%20champloo

Sisko
05-06-2006, 10:45 PM
OMGGGGG
First the CHEEEEEEEEEESE and then this!!
You're a genius xD
OMG Mugen was sooooo funny...

SHADOW FOX 1119
05-06-2006, 11:02 PM
Ah ha ha ha ha! That was GREAT!!!! :D

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e306/Skittle2/Alucard.jpg

Alucard thinks so, too. ^_^

Blood Lull
05-06-2006, 11:30 PM
Ah ha ha ha ha! That was GREAT!!!! :D

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e306/Skittle2/Alucard.jpg

Alucard thinks so, too. ^_^

I haven't seen the series yet but I'm downloading it to my comp at this very moment. Gotta love bittorrent.

Sisko
05-07-2006, 11:00 AM
And gotta love Hellsing! :D
But if you don't want to be disappointed with the ending, you should start reading the manga >_<

DreamWorld
03-23-2007, 03:51 PM
I don't dislike anime, however I prefer Manga.
Alot of anime screw up their orignal story lines.

Take Shaman King for example, one of the most popular Shonen Jump mangas in Japan. It is 31 volumes long, and actually had over 150 different appearances in it.

The anime shortened it to 62 episodes, and spoiled the true ending.

Plus dubbed voices annoy me, if you want to watch Anime - always go for the Japanese.

Plus the best Anime for me is Death Note - I recommend to those who like mystery and challenges more than action or love.

Plus LxRaito are an awesome pair. *Yaoi fan*

~DreamWorld~

Sisko
03-23-2007, 04:38 PM
Raito sucks >_>!
But... LxRaito is love!! *-*
Death Note rocks so much! Must watch new ep! xD

Burden of the Soul
03-23-2007, 06:43 PM
I love anime more than all of you!!! xD
too sad to say more at the moment,
will totally spazz at all of you on the beauty of anime later^^

Forever More,
Gomenasai,
Cynthia

EmilyRose
03-23-2007, 07:08 PM
when i was into it.. like some time ago.. my fav anime was X.. --> also known as clampX... or angel sanctuary.. even fma.. but then everything got melodramatic.. so i cudnt bother.. like naruto or bleach.. they just got out of control :/ with nonsense and crappy fillers.. -.-
Hmm.. if he wasnt banned i would comment on that comment.

OnHerOwn44
03-23-2007, 07:14 PM
... whats wrong with elfin lied? o.o i love it....

just me
03-24-2007, 04:07 AM
I like watching anime, and i like reading manga's. though seriously it took me ages to find a manga heari n england about 2/3 years ago (when i got intrested in it). Lol, but nowe my local libary has them. Not that i go tehre often anymore...
Though to be truthful most of my firends think im weird becuase i like anime and manga.

Yeha Sisko i love Death Note too. lol. :)

Easiertospell
03-24-2007, 04:53 AM
I'm just getting into anime, but I really like it. :)

DreamWorld
03-25-2007, 01:37 PM
heheh, I think you just did. :P

DreamWorld
03-25-2007, 01:39 PM
I like watching anime, and i like reading manga's. though seriously it took me ages to find a manga heari n england about 2/3 years ago (when i got intrested in it). Lol, but nowe my local libary has them. Not that i go tehre often anymore...
Though to be truthful most of my firends think im weird becuase i like anime and manga.

Yeha Sisko i love Death Note too. lol. :)

Death Note is a great Manga! I love it!

Matt = <333

RaitoxL = perfection. xD

^__^

Wotsit
03-25-2007, 01:45 PM
I live, eat, drink and breath anime/managa. I also love drawing it. I'm in the middle of drawing a EdWin fan pic. It isn't going to well at the mo.

xRachx

OnHerOwn44
03-25-2007, 03:43 PM
I just finished my naraku costume. Well the cloth part anyway. haha. i still hae to make a mask. But its for the cosplay at the anime convention this friday. I cant wait!! ^_^ Just four more days!!

just me
03-26-2007, 11:15 AM
Death Note is a great Manga! I love it!

Matt = <333

RaitoxL = perfection. xD

^__^

Well i havnt read the manga... ill look for it next time i go borders lol.
But im loveing the anime! Lol.

OnHerOwn44
Cool have fun!

DreamWorld
03-27-2007, 05:49 AM
Well i havnt read the manga... ill look for it next time i go borders lol.
But im loveing the anime! Lol.

OnHerOwn44
Cool have fun!

Do so!! You'll never regret it! ^__^

And I get my DN from Borders too... Though I get my Shaman King from a store in town called Forbidden Planet. It has a room full of manga!!! *sighs*

...I could live there... *day dreams*

just me
03-27-2007, 11:35 AM
Do so!! You'll never regret it! ^__^

And I get my DN from Borders too... Though I get my Shaman King from a store in town called Forbidden Planet. It has a room full of manga!!! *sighs*

...I could live there... *day dreams*

I want a shop like that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tut my little town has nothing. Damn town.
i acctually went looking for the shaman king manga (its the first ever anime i saw, watched it on Jetix dubbed but now i watch subbed over the net...).
Anywyas i really loved the shaman king anime... and i was getting into japanese culture and stuff then as well. I odnt htink borders do shaman king... ive never seen it if they do :(
Anywyas my fave manga is Love Hina which i just think is halarious. Have you read it? Good for a laugh.

DreamWorld
03-27-2007, 02:15 PM
I want a shop like that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tut my little town has nothing. Damn town.
i acctually went looking for the shaman king manga (its the first ever anime i saw, watched it on Jetix dubbed but now i watch subbed over the net...).
Anywyas i really loved the shaman king anime... and i was getting into japanese culture and stuff then as well. I odnt htink borders do shaman king... ive never seen it if they do :(
Anywyas my fave manga is Love Hina which i just think is halarious. Have you read it? Good for a laugh.

No I haven't read it, but I'll check borders next time I go, promise!!

And damn it's a shame you don't have a store like FP! =[ >__<

I don't think Borders sell SK, but I think you can order it. Ask the Coustomer Desk next time you go in.

And I used to watch SK Dubbed on Jetix too, but it went off the air for about a year and I got into the Subbed instead by buying the eps from eBay. From that I'm obsessed with Japanese stuff and the language!

^___^

~DreamWorld~

German Suicide
03-27-2007, 02:23 PM
UGH! HATE?!
I love anime!!!!!!!!!!!!
God people are odd....
Loveless is my new Fav anime (you should all take a looky)

Liebte,
Vic

just me
03-28-2007, 08:23 AM
No I haven't read it, but I'll check borders next time I go, promise!!

And damn it's a shame you don't have a store like FP! =[ >__<

I don't think Borders sell SK, but I think you can order it. Ask the Coustomer Desk next time you go in.

And I used to watch SK Dubbed on Jetix too, but it went off the air for about a year and I got into the Subbed instead by buying the eps from eBay. From that I'm obsessed with Japanese stuff and the language!

^___^

~DreamWorld~

Yeah i wish i had one! It'd be cool. Damn town tut...
Ive never seen it in borders lol, but i went looking. I even looked in my libary they didnt have it either. :( I'll try and see if i can order it... I'd like to read it.
Yeah same hear! Id love to learn Japanese. Id liek to learn japanese and arabic in lanuages. But it seems really hard becuase japanese has so many different ways of writing and stuff. Lol.
xx

German Suicide
03-28-2007, 02:11 PM
Vic, my girl (Ukujumal on here) asked me to tell you a while ago: SHE LOVES YOU!!!:D (Too much Loveless for her. :D)

HAHA! Yay! I LOVE U TOOO!!!!!
I love the little gayness with the 12 year old and the 20 year old XD so hawt
love loveless!

Liebte,
Vic

DreamWorld
03-28-2007, 03:06 PM
Yeah i wish i had one! It'd be cool. Damn town tut...
Ive never seen it in borders lol, but i went looking. I even looked in my libary they didnt have it either. :( I'll try and see if i can order it... I'd like to read it.
Yeah same hear! Id love to learn Japanese. Id like to learn japanese and arabic in lanuages. But it seems really hard becuase japanese has so many different ways of writing and stuff. Lol.
xx

Oh you'll be surpised how easy it is to pick up on the language!

Writing Japanese in literal form is easiest, as the japanese actually write their words how they say them. Like for example 'Konichiwa' is 'Ko - ne - chee - wah' I've not attempted to learn the symbols, they look way too hard (and they are.)

I learn by hearing, so listening to songs and watching anime helps me remember. I know quite alot of Japanese and wind people up at school with things like 'Suno no Kete?' and 'Watashi wa mendo ka?' (which mean, 'What do you mean?' and 'Am I bothered?') - Although I think the 'Am I bothered?' is actually 'I am bothered.' but they don't know that, do they? lol.

By the way, if you can't find SK, you can download it (along with many others) on: http://stoptazmo.com/shaman_king/

There is a brillaint website that you can just read the manga without downloading it too, but I can't find it so I'll go on the laptop tommorow and find that one for you too.

I also know a few websites you can learn japanese, here: kids web Japan: http://web-jpn.org/kidsweb/sau.html Language guide: http://www.languageguide.org/nihongo/

Anyways, hope I helped! XD

~DreamWorld~

just me
03-29-2007, 07:13 AM
Thanks for those links! :)
I dont like downloading stuff so ill look for it next time i go to shopping. (Probably in about 2 weeks).
Ill look at the japanese learning sites later on when i have more time.
Thank you again! :)
xx